Thursday, January 29, 2009

Gotta come clean

I am a bit of a reality TV. junkie. Not really sure why some days, but hey I'll admit it. When the kids go to bed you can usually find me on TLC watching Little People, Big World, Jon & Kate, 17 & Counting and the list goes on. Hubby just doesn't understand my fascination with watching other peoples families (maybe it's because it makes mine seem so much more normal) Who knows? Anyways, for the past two seasons I have been watching Celebrity Rehab. I have always enjoyed watching A&E's Intervention and this has the celebrity twist. Although I really didn't care about the first season folks I did seem to feel for this last seasons group. For example, I had true empathy for Rodney King and the trauma he incurred after his beating that spiraled him into drinking. And for some reason i really had compassion for the ex-drummer Steven Adler whom had overdosed a few times and had even had a stroke due to an overdose that left his face partially paralyzed and with slurred speech. His drug of choice was heroine. He was on the show trying to kick the habit which was admirable. I suppose I felt bad for him because he had a horrible childhood and was put on the streets at the age of 11. He had been introduced early to drugs and alcohol, had finally made something of himself and hit the big time in the music world only to lose it all to drugs. After the second season ended the folks were given the option to continue treatment in a half-way house and the new show was dubbed "Sober House". I watched last week's show and couldn't believe the way some drugs affect the body. Steven was back for continued treatment, but this time tried to sneak drugs in. He succeeded and was taped afterwards. I have no idea what makes people want to do this to themselves. He was so drugged that he was unable to find his bedroom, he would fall down, fall asleep, tremors and such. After turning off the show I just prayed to God that my children never touch an illegal drug. I can't imagine being a mother and seeing your child in that sort of state. I wish this type of footage was shown to high school students so that they see the harsh reality of what drugs does to you both in use and afterwards. Perhaps it would scare kids enough to never even try it. For anyone interested "Sober House" comes on VH1 on Thursday nights at 10pm.
On a lighter note, the kids were back at school today on time. My fridge was spared a second day of pillaging (at least until they come home from school).

2 comments:

Carla said...

Ok, I'm gonna have to find this show...sounds right up my ally!!

Thankfully it is payday!! LOL Now you can hit the commissary!! YAHOO!!

Ellen said...

With these vultures I will need to start shopping at Sam's Club just to keep up.