Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Music to my ears

I took an early childhood continuing ed. class tonight and interesting things were brought to light. So my wheels starting turning on the way home. The professor questioned our own upbringing/childhoods. With the combination of this weeks past events and tonight's reflection I started diving back into my memory. What has formed me into the person I am today? Thus the need to change my songs. No, John Lennon & the Beatles didn't raise me, but I was raised on their music. In fact they are my dad's favorite band, this is probably why they are one of mine too. Something about these songs takes me back to an innocent time in my life. Music in general was a huge part of my family. My father was and is a talented drummer. He for many years participated in several local bands and played both country & rock. There was always a drum set in the house. I never took any interest in playing myself, but I do enjoy listening to music. He got all of his musical talent from my grandpa ( this is why I added the one and only country song to my play list. I loved my grandpa! And when I get where I'm going I too will hug his neck and tell him how much I've missed him. I dearly miss all of my grandparents!)

Anyways, in tonight's class we discussed storytelling and the art of passing down stories from our families. So I thought about what type of stories I want my children to be able to pass down when I'm gone. I have so many, but the first one is about how my grandparents ran a country music ranch and how when their grandfather (my dad) was little he met George Jones, Johnny Cash and many others. In fact he took up drumming when Johnny Cash's drummer left behind his drum sticks. Or that their other grandfather was a Naval sailor whom served 20+ years on and off several naval ships. As will Tom keep passing on too his family stories. I can also remember family get together's at Easter's, Christmas's & other holidays. Some memories are very vivid while others seem to be slipping away. I do remember my mom wearing sundresses (black & brown) and planting marigold plants up and down both sides of the sidewalk when I was a kid. Or the time my dad had his hair cut off! Or better yet the time my Uncle Roger permed his hair than decided to let someone try and iron it (with a real iron) back straight. Shrinky-dinks in the oven, New Year's Eve parties with jam sessions and sweet gherkin pickles. I could go on and on! A trip down memory lane is always a trip worth taking.

No comments: