Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Who made the legal driving age 16?

I sat through one of the most disturbing driver's educational seminar for teens ever. I walked in all hyped and happy that my oldest would be 16 this summer and that my "Mom's taxi" days with him were dwindling quickly. After an hour and fifteen minute seminar with insurance agents, State police, motor vehicle admin & trauma nurses I was in tears. The horror stories and legalities of being the parent of a new driver were far too much for me to take all in. I was prepared to come home and never let my kids out of my sight again. The memorial tribute and all the graphic pictures of fatal car accidents had me in tears. There were two people in the tribute that Kyle had been friends with that were killed within the last two years. This really hit home to him the seriousness of what seems like fun can sometimes lead to deadly mistakes. With that we had a lengthy discussion on the way home and ultimately decided that he would not be driving to school next year and that for the first year to year and a half it would be best for him to always have us in the vehicle to educate him on the rules of the road and allow him to improve on his driving skills. Although this may sound harsh to some, Tom and I would rather have our son at home alive then to throw caution to the wind and allow him free reigns with a motor vehicle. Plus I reminded him that with public transportation "school bus" there were no $3.16 per gallon gas fees. We'll see if he's still O.K. with this master plan come August. I should start thinking now and listing all the really good reasons why he shouldn't drive alone..... I may need them then.

1 comment:

Carla said...

ARE you KIDDING????? MY kids won't drive alone until 18, at least!!!!!! J. hasn't even acted the least bit interested. They don't offer drivers ed here, so we'll do the home school course....when he asks. I'm not offering! LOL It is so much more crowded here than there.
It is scary!!!!